Thursday, May 31, 2012

"The Thing" Review


So, mistakenly believing that RedBox re-released The Thing, I rented it. After noticing some guy from Not Another Teen Movie was in it, I decided it probably wasn't the original. Nonetheless, I wasn't disappointed in the end.

The Thing
Starring: Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton
Ulrich Thomsen
Directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.
My Opinion: A remake worth the watch
Of course, most remakes end up as either laughable or acceptable - but this hits above mediocrity. First of all, the most impressive element is the shockingly flagrant gore. Each encounter with the Thing is more revolting than the last, but that's what makes it fun. Furthermore, these obscene moments are nearly realistic with the high-quality of CGI. The acting is moderately above average, which is always impressive for a horror film, and the direction is solid. I was even swayed by several shots, including long sweeps across the icy landscapes and a helicopter escape gone haywire depicted with point of view shots.

 For a remake that I thought was the original, I found it surprisingly satisfying. The film provokes anxiety in the viewer as well as puts the characters under pressure, forcing them against each other in dangerous ways. If the remake is as good as it is, the original has got to be worth the watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment