Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Drinking Buddies


Buddies Luke and Kate work alongside each other at Revolution Brewery in Chicago, specifically the Logan Square neighborhood (can I get a shout from my homies?). The two have an intimate relationship made up of beer-fueled discussions and familiar flirtations. You would think they were an item that just has a weird brother-sister thing going on, but no: the two are simply drinking buddies and nothing more. Their fiery chemistry is contained by their own romantic relationships, but as the plot moves forward the obstacles seem to sway.

Drinking Buddies
Directed by Joe Swanberg
Starring: Olivia Wilde Jake Johnson, Anna Kendrick
My Opinion: a 95 minute trip to blue balls town

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a movie that is so sexual frustrating. In a frame of mind normally reserved for suspense, I found myself wanting to scream, "Just fuck already!" Yet, at the same time, there was something captivating about their stasis. Each had their own way of expressing their repressed feelings, which adds up to a series of uncomfortable moments. Just saying, skinny dipping on a beach with you "drinking buddy"? With all that sexy moonlight, cool water and nakedness, you might as well be having sex.

Beyond the mild anxiety I experienced, the film itself is so-so. The script is standing on wobbly legs and the direction follows a "snippet of life" style of narrative that lacks a focused plot. It mostly kept my attention, while straining at times, but wasn't all that cohesive at the end of the day. It seems to really lean on Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick. I wouldn't watch it again, but if you're looking for the most awkward date movie of the year, this is it.

1 comment:

  1. btw, found this post by looking, "drinking buddies blue balls" how is it that no one else thinks the same?

    ReplyDelete